Monday, February 28, 2011

One of my favorite salads


Actually all of us LOVE this salad except for Grace.  You can find it in the 2008 UPPC MOPS cookbook on page 22-23, compliments of my lovely dear friend Lorina.

Spinach Salad:
Spinach
1/2 C slivered almonds, toasted and optional
1/2 lb of bacon or bacon bits
3 green onions, diced finely
2 chopped apples, i slice mine thinly

Dressing:
1/4 C oil
3 T tarragon vinegar
1/4 C sugar or less
1/2 t dry mustard
1/8 t salt
Whisk together and let it chill in the fridge before serving.
Enjoy!

I omit the almonds only because the littles don't care for
them but they do taste yummy if you decide to add them in.

Freshly washed 'pre-washed' spinach. :-)
Am i the only nut that goes through the spinach bag/container
and picks out the leaves that are not thick and chewy?

Makings for the dressing.  I do make this a head of time and
it keeps for several days in the fridge. 

I like Fuji apples in our salad.
Note: Slice apples before onions.  Even though they will
be combined, it still tastes best when your apples taste
like apples and not onions. :-)

                        
I like big pieces of bacon in my salad but don't like cooking
it so i cheat and buy the precooked from Costco.  Also i
improvised with thinly sliced red onions tonight since i
did not have green, they are just as tasty!



1 comment: